Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Gluten Free Diet

Well, it looks like we will be switching K-man to a gluten free diet. We knew there was a chance of this when he had such a hard time with the baby cereals. I was really hoping we wouldn't have to, but more and more things are pointing to celiacs disease. He has had cereal and the gerber puffs for a while and his gas and constipation have stayed around. I was doing some research on the issue and two of the main symptoms in infants is gas and constipation. Cheerios, gerber puffs, goldfish, and animal crackers all have gluten in them, which is everything he eats for snacks during the day.

I felt like he was having a lot of gas problems, more so for his age. We have to still give him mylicon drops every night and even those don't help. He will wake up from the gas, and he has to be pressed up against one of us when he sleeps a lot of nights. I'm really hoping that by eliminating these foods, he will sleep better also. Here's to hoping. In my research I also found that it can lead to iron deficiency, which he have to give iron drops right now because of an iron deficiency. We had talked to the pediatrician about the baby cereals at his 9 month appointment and she said to watch him as he started to eat more solid foods, so I guess we will report back to her at his 12 month appointment and let her know that he is still having gas and constipation issues. While I was hoping it would not be celiacs, I'm just ready for his tummy to feel better and for him to not have such pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment